Tuesday, October 20, 2009

H1N1 Haiku

Coughing and Sneezing
Why is it so contagious?
I dislike piggies.


Two more victims of the swine flu! Mike got it from work, and so graciously brought it home to me. Although he had it a lot worse than I did, I was the one who ended up going to the doctor due to the fact that pregnancy is considered high-risk with the swine flu. I went to the doctor's office, and they sent me to the hospital to get tested to confirm the H1N1 virus. After going to 2 hospitals and waiting for over an hour in the waiting room, they stuck a swab up my nose and sent me home. The results came back positive. Since I work at a hospital, I was restricted from going back to work for an entire week, which wouldn't have been so bad, if I didn't spend almost the entire week in bed. I also had to talk to the infection control nurse at the hospital so she can track the spread of the virus. She told me that the interesting thing is that everyone who gets the swine flu has wildly different symptoms. Some have very mild symptoms, and others are hospitalized. I sure got off lucky! All in all, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever dealt with. The worst part was paying for the Tamiflu, which was quite pricey. All for the good of the baby, I guess, who is kicking away quite happily still. And that's what matters most.

6 comments:

  1. Well I'm not happy that you got the swine flu, but I'm happy that I can now look at your blog! I hope you're both feeling much better :) Love you Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog! And I'm sorry you got H1N1, that's scary during pregnancy. Glad you're feeling better though. I love seeing your pictures from the summer too! Now I just can't wait to see you soon and compare bellies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dead Kermit?.....

    I am so glad that you and Mike are feeling better. Stay healty for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're haiku is awesome. And your picture is awesome. And your blog is awesome. Swine flu... not so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love haikus!
    PS - I thought I had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the last time I was that sick. So they stuck this giant swab up my nose, seriously, I'm pretty sure it went all the way up to my brain. But luckily, the test came back negative. Not fun nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have put identifying info or something inappropriate in my first comment. Sorry about that :). Or maybe I forgot to comment. Whatever, I'm glad you're feeling better. And I loved the haiku.

    ReplyDelete