Monday, May 2, 2011

Where were you?

Where were you on 9/11? They say you'll never forget. And it's true. I don't always have the best memory, but that day will forever be imprinted on my mind. I was a senior in highschool and I'd just gotten out of early morning orchestra rehearsal when people approached us in the hall and said, "Did you see the news?" We spent the entire day glued to the tv in disbelief and shock.

I was at work when I found out the news about Osama bin Laden. It's actually kind of a funny sign of the times: my co-worker's husband posted something on facebook about it. That's how we found out.

It's hard to believe 9/11 happened almost 10 years ago. I feel incredibly grateful for those in the armed forces who are fighting so hard to protect us at home.

As I was watching some of the news reports about bin Laden, I saw something that bothered me a little bit. I hope this next part doesn't offend anyone. That is not my intention.

I saw people outside of the white house, celebrating the death of a man.

And an image immediately came to mind of news reports I saw on 9/11.

People celebrating death.

I won't ever forget that image. Sitting in Mr. Whitney's Human Biology class, watching people celebrate an event that took so many lives and shook our entire nation. How do you celebrate something like that?

I am not saying that Osama bin Laden should not have been killed. I think it was a necessary action and an American victory. And I'm not trying to compare those outside of the white house to al-Qaida terrorists. What I'm trying to say is this: Is dancing in the streets to Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" really an appropriate response?

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree. It's a relief that this little part of the war on terrorism is over, but I don't think it's right to celebrate death like that. Even if the life caused so much pain for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I also agree with you. Maybe it was Miley Cyrus that made them temporarily callous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, Carol, totally agree.

    PS, I want to see you since you're so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, Carol. I am glad that Bin Ladin is no longer the threat, but I don't feel like celebrating his death like some people did.

    ReplyDelete