Apparently we have angered the Pyrex Gods. Mike, Ellie and I came home from a day of doctor appointments and errands to find shattered glass all over our kitchen floor. My first thought was, "Shoot... someone broke into our apartment." But after a quick scan of the place, I realized I was overreacting. Or maybe under-reacting, cause what happened was much cooler: Spontaneous Exploding Pyrex.

Mike had made brownies a few days ago and after we finished them, we put the baking dish on the counter. There it was, waiting to be washed, when *BOOM*! At least, that's what I'm assuming happened because we weren't home when the actual explosion occurred. We read online that if you subject pyrex to extreme temperature changes, it can shatter. But it was sitting at room temperature with brownies in it for a few days. And it literally exploded because glass had flown a few feet away and landed in the sink and on top of some cannisters we have sitting on the counter.

We came up with some possible explanations:
- Ellie has X-men mutant powers where her high-pitched scream can break glass, and somehow she controlled it so only the pyrex broke. This is unlikely due to the fact that Ellie wasn't home. Not because she doesn't have these powers.
- The pyrex dish was so mad at not being washed sooner, it decided to spite us by breaking into a million pieces.
And really, those are the only other options besides spontaneous explosion. So spontaneous explosion it is!
Thank you Spontaneously Exploding Pyrex for making our lives a bit more interesting.

Pure black magic. That's crazy. P.S. I miss you.
ReplyDeleteCarol, I wasn't really blog stocking. Promise. I just found your blog through Michelle's. Innocent curiousity. I love the pyrex story and I am starting to wonder if our lives are in danger of combustible pyrex dishes too. I won't be using them for a while at least. Ellie is so cute. Bet you are proud-- b/c you should be. Would you be ok with me adding your blog to mine? My blog is private, so if you would like an invite my email msteed1982@yahoo.com. Take care!
ReplyDelete--Jenny Davidson Steed