Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Calling all Super Scouts

Mike and I have been serving as Cubmasters in our ward for the last 5 months.  I knew next to nothing about the Cub Scouts program before starting.  One of the many things I've learned about CS is that the most dreaded month of the year is February.  Why?  Well, because of the Blue & Gold Dinner. 


I've never had to plan dinner for 40+ people, and it was seriously intimidating.  Luckily, I work with some really great people who I couldn't have done any of this without.  We ended up doing Hawaiian Haystacks, which the parents enjoyed, but the scouts wouldn't touch it.  We ended up with plenty of left overs for everyone to take home.

Our theme was "Calling All Super Scouts" and we had a member of our bishopric come talk to the scouts.  He gave a really great talk and at the end, held up a picture of a Cub Scout wearing a scarf and a uniform and the caption of the picture was "You can't judge a hero by the size of his cape."  It really tied in nicely with our theme!



 I even made centerpieces for the occasion, which is also uncharted territory for me!  I used up all of my creativity and craftiness for the year, so don't expect any more of me until 2014.



At the end of the night, we had a Super Hero obstacle course where the boys had to put on over-sized clothing, run to a Phone Booth to change into their super hero cape, crawl through a box tunnel, navigate their way through rope obstacles, and finish by smashing through a wall of boxes.  They might not have liked dinner, but the obstacle course was a hit!


The only picture I got of the obstacle course.

It was a great night, and now I can relax again until next year's Blue & Gold.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, you are AWESOME! What a fun idea for cub scout! And your Ellie is just as cute as can be! I miss you! Are you going to come to Utah at all this summer?

    ReplyDelete