While I was up in Utah with Ellie, Mike called me one night and the following conversation ensued:
Mike: "What would you say if I told you I was thinking about transferring schools?"
Me: "Excuse me?"
Mike: "I was talking to this guy at my internship who used to go to Phoenix School of Law, but transferred to ASU and he told me a bunch of things that's making me think about it."
Me: "Ok. Well, I guess we can think about it."
Mike: "The transfer application deadline is in a few days."
Me: "Oh boy."
So Mike spent the next few days throwing together application packets, writing essays and getting letters of recommendations from professors. He applied to Arizona State University and the University of Utah. And he got accepted to them both! I'm crazy proud of the guy. His undergrad GPA wasn't the best, but since he worked so hard this past year and did so well, the #26 ranked law school in the nation was willing to accept him.
Part of the application process is meeting with the Dean to discuss why you want to transfer and if there's anything they can do to keep you from transferring. Mike got up the courage to say, "I know the school has a policy that they can't offer full-ride scholarships, but I would stay if you gave me one." After several emails back and forth, Mike finally got one congratulating him on earning the newly created Presidential Scholarship: a scholarship covering tuition and fees for the top students in their class. We're pretty ecstatic and humbled by such a huge blessing in our lives.
So after being "bribed" and oh yeah... getting answers to prayers, we're staying in Phoenix for now. As much as we would have LOVED to move closer to family and friends, this is where we feel we're supposed to be.
I've also neglected to write anything about Mike's summer internship. He's working for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, in the Homicide Division. Glad it's him and not me. They say ignorance is bliss, and it's true. I could've happily existed without knowing about all the homicides that happen in Phoenix.
Part of his internship includes visiting murder scenes (he's been to 4 in the 2 months he's been there), watching autopsies, helping interview suspects, listening to jail calls (apparently even though inmates are warned their phone calls are recorded, they still say pretty stupid things on the phone), and then he does the normal boring paper work. He also goes and observes different trials in court. In fact, he walked into the courtroom in the aftermath of the AZ millionaire who committed suicide after receiving his guilty verdict, which you can read about here, if you have no idea what I'm talking about.
He also has been able to do a few "ride-along" experiences with the police. One was a Drunk Driving Task force where he spent from 7pm to 6 am the next morning riding with a highway patrolman pulling over drunk drivers. He told me the coolest part was when they had to get to the scene of an accident really fast. When I asked him what "really fast" meant, he said he couldn't tell me. Again, ignorance is bliss.
Then one day, he came home with a bullet proof vest. I was not thrilled. He was supposed to go out with an officer in the Gang Unit, and was issued the vest just in case. It ended up getting canceled last minute, and I can't say I was crushed about that, although Mike was disappointed. But we did take the opportunity to take family pictures in it, cause really... how many times in my life will I get to wear a bullet proof vest?
When all is said and done, he's learned that maybe he doesn't want to be a prosecutor, but he's sure had a fun time coming to that conclusion.
| Don't worry, it's an Airsoft gun. |
| Mike trying to look tough, but looking like he has heartburn instead. |
We're proud of you too Mike! It's fun reading your blog Carol. Kings loves looking at the pictures as I read and keeps saying: more, more. He loves pointing out Ellie. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteCongrats Mike on the internship, transfer acceptances (even though not happening), and full ride scholarship! That's awesome! I'm with you about the ignorance is bliss part Carol. And can I say you all look stunning in that bullet proof vest. :)
ReplyDeleteWow! Way to go Mike! I wish you guys were moving closer, but I understand being where you need to be. What a blessing for you guys.
ReplyDeleteI am glad, too, that Mike didn't have to go out with a gang unit! Cool vest, though.
ReplyDelete