Gilgal Gardens is a little park located on 749 E. and 500 S. It was created by Thomas Battersby Child Jr in 1957 and he worked on it until his death in 1963. For years, he was the bishop of the 10th ward in Salt Lake which met in the beautiful meeting house located directly north of the gardens. And he built the garden in his backyard. He named it after Gilgal, a biblical location where Joshua told the Israelites to place 12 stones as a memorial.
So there are all these statues and sculptures and everything is very symbolic. Child said, "You may think I am a nut but I hope I have aroused your thinking and curiosity." In addition to the statues are scriptures and hymns etched into stepping stones. I'm not really a deep thinker, but I think you could spend hours in this garden trying to figure out what the sculptures and the scriptures he attached to it all mean.
Here's Joseph Smith's head on a sphinx.
This was a self-sculpture, and yes... his pants are made of brick. So cool!
Wow, I've never even heard of this, but it looks neat.
ReplyDelete